Yesterday I busted out this Ceramic Urn that was hiding in the corner of my kitchen behind a table in a coffee box with a do not touch sign on it. It had been bisque fired but not glazed yet. So I asked my friend Kat who is also an Art Educator to help me bring it to the studio in her car, it is to heavy to carry a long distance. We got it to the studio in one piece.
Brought it to the SU glaze room and began laying out the glaze pattern and choosing glaze colors.
These are the two colors I decided on after looking at combinations and test tiles for about an hour.
To get a good idea of what the final urn would look like with the glaze, I photoshopped a photograph I took with possible glaze colors and applications, until I came up with this plan. The numbers are the glaze combinations to produce the mossy green and sea colors. The arrows and symbols are to glazed parts you can't see, such as the top view of the handle, underneath the lid, and under the foot of the urn.
My set up: paper mat, latex, cup, brush, turn table, wet sponge, layout on computer
Following my plan I started by sketching the shapes I needed to glaze in the dark green color.
This morning I perfected my layout of shapes and latexed around them.
Glazed in the shapes, peeled off the latex around them, and applied latex over the glazed shapes.
I will glaze the remainder of the urn in the lighter color tomorrow.
Post a Comment